Monday, October 1, 2012

Scooter Commuters

Gregg Lombardi - Executive Director

I’m working on becoming a scooter-commuter. This spring I started riding a scooter to work once or twice a week.  Over the summer, I’ve racked up over 1,000 scooter miles and my goal is to ride it over 2,000 miles per year. If you drive down Gillham Road during rush hour, I’m the guy with a button down shirt and khaki’s riding a little, red, Buddy scooter.

I figure that scootering combined with my switch to a Prius will save about 250 gallons of gas per year. By itself that won’t have a lot of impact on global warming, depletion of fossil fuels and U.S. energy dependence on Middle Eastern oil.

But, if you think of 1,000 K.C. area commuters making a similar switch (that’s well under 1% of the commuting population), then we’d be talking about saving a quarter million gallons a year. And if the same change happened in 50 other cities around the country, then we’d be turning at least a few super-tankers of oil back to the Middle East every year.  The price of oil might even go down and the air might just be a little easier to breath.

That’s a nice thought to enjoy while I scooter around.

No comments:

Post a Comment